Dating women in croydon and surrey

In 1837 it acquired a vacant plot known as "Promise Close" between Westgate and Middle Street in Driffield on which to build a new workhouse.The construction was carried out by local builders Clark and Shepherdson.

In April 1839, it was proposed that "two lower rooms in the present storehouse be formed into male and female vagrant wards and two upper rooms into a female fever and female foul (i.e. Room over the pantries be set aside for a male sick ward, a wall built opposite the men's privy as it now opens directly before the Master's sitting room.

The first master and matron to be appointed were an ex-Quartermaster Sergeant of the 19th regiment of Foot, Robert Rainsbury, and his wife Mary.

A separate house for the master was built facing onto Middle Street.

Driffield Middle Street workhouse and Master's house from the east, 2006. Driffield Middle Street workhouse eastern range from the north-east, 2006. The new building appeared to be unsatisfactory almost from the outset and alterations were regularly being discussed.

They used to get a bit of pocket money and the men got half an ounce of tobacco a week and the women got some sweets if they wanted." As the change into a residential home came into effect the residents had to pay according to their means. Wanting to raise the tone of the establishment a little, she got rid of their pint mugs and introduced checked tablecloths and cups and saucers in the dining room. One or two odd characters did turn up on her doorstep, some of them deposited there by the police.

That passed off quite peacefully she recalled, but when she decided to remove the spitoons from the room where the men sat they were at a loss. One of them was Lydia, a traveller who went from farm to farm doing seasonal jobs like potato picking.

Its operation was overseen by an elected Board of Guardians, 44 in number, representing its 43 constituent parishes and townships as listed below (figures in brackets indicate numbers of Guardians if more than one): East Riding: Bainton, Beeford, Bracken, Brigham, Butterwick, Cottam, Cowlan, Garton-on-the-Wolds, Great Driffield (2), Little Driffield, Eastburn, Emswell with Kellythorpe, Fimber, Foston-upon-the-Wolds, Foxholes with Boythorpe, Gembling, Helperthorpe, Hutton Cranswick, Kilham, Harpham, Great Kelk, Kirkburn & Battleburn, Langtoft, Little Kelk, Lowthorp, Lutton's Ambe, Middleton, Nafferton, Neswick, North Frodingham, North Dalton, Rotsea, Ruston Parva, Southburn, Skerne, Sledmere with Croom, Sunderlandwick, Tibthorp, Towthorpe, Walton, Wansford, Weaverthorp, Wetwang.

The population falling within the union at the 1831 census had been 14,718 — ranging from Eastburn (population 14) to Great Driffield (2,660).

The Nafferton workhouse was located on what is now Station Road, opposite Feoffee Cottages.

Tags: , ,